Ensuring a vital U.S.
A Whole-of-Nation Solution for a Whole-of-Nation Challenge
Breakthrough semiconductor technologies are crucial to the sustainability of national security, the global economy, and the future of American innovation. In the face of global strategic competition, the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) provides for the creation of the National Semiconductor Technology Center (NSTC) and calls for funding to revitalize U.S leadership in semiconductors. Answering this call, we have convened the Semiconductor Alliance and created a plan for the NSTC that ensures maximum benefit from this essential government investment. With thoughtful consideration to whole-of-nation involvement and solutions that deliver generational impact, our NSTC plan calls for radical collaboration to secure semiconductor technology innovation, manufacturing leadership, and supply chain resilience based on the following principles:
- Collaboration: We have a responsibility to do what’s best for the whole.
- Fairness: We prioritize ideas based on their merit.
- Democracy: We serve everyone.
CREATING AN ENDURING NATIONAL RESOURCE
A BLUEPRINT FOR THE NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR TECHNOLOGY CENTER AND THE NATIONAL ADVANCED PACKAGING MANUFACTURING PROGRAM
Guided by the four points below, and through focused strategic planning and sound execution, the NSTC will enable the U.S. to surge ahead in the heated race for leadership in the global semiconductor industry:
- Establishing effective & inclusive governance
- Setting an ambitious, high-impact technology agenda
- Creating a robust network and operating model for executing technical agendas
- Ensuring long-term financial sustainability
The Semiconductor Alliance
Collaboration for Global Impact
The Semiconductor Alliance unites industry, investors, academia, and government to develop scalable solutions to advance technology and define a strategic path forward that is meaningful for all. Together, we address national challenges of workforce development, infrastructure identification, technology advances, and funding procurement.
Semiconductor innovation is essential to the fusion of technologies called for in the Fourth Industrial Revolution, crucial to disruptive advances in 5G, artificial intelligence, and the internet of things, and vital to marketplace evolution. The establishment and operation of the NSTC, fully authorized by the passage of the CHIPS Act of 2022, is central to our work. Our collective call is for the NSTC to be:
- Objective-oriented to critical issues like supply chain resiliency, national security, and assurance of economic competitiveness.
- Strategy-led with a technical agenda that utilizes existing infrastructure with objective and collaborative industry and university participation.
- Merit-based with a distributed model prioritizing quality selection, efficient use of existing infrastructure, and an objective, expert-led Advanced Technology Grand Challenge model to produce sustainable outcomes.
CONTACT THE SEMICONDUCTOR ALLIANCE
MITRE Engenuity seeks engagement from all facets of the U.S. semiconductor ecosystem, including integrated device manufacturers; fabless chip companies; providers of infrastructure, design, and manufacturing tools; and innovators from industry and academia.