Ensuring a vital U.S.
A Whole-of-Nation Solution for a Whole-of-Nation Challenge
Breakthrough semiconductor technologies are crucial to the sustainability of national security, the global economy, and the future of American innovation. In the face of global strategic competition, the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) provides for the creation of the National Semiconductor Technology Center (NSTC) and calls for funding to revitalize U.S leadership in semiconductors. Answering this call, we have convened the Semiconductor Alliance and created a plan for the NSTC that ensures maximum benefit from this essential government investment. With thoughtful consideration to whole-of-nation involvement and solutions that deliver generational impact, our NSTC plan calls for radical collaboration to secure semiconductor technology innovation, manufacturing leadership, and supply chain resilience based on the following principles:
- Collaboration: We have a responsibility to do what’s best for the whole.
- Fairness: We prioritize ideas based on their merit.
- Democracy: We serve everyone.
The Semiconductor Alliance
Collaboration for Global Impact
The Semiconductor Alliance unites industry, investors, academia, and government to develop scalable solutions to advance technology and define a strategic path forward that is meaningful for all. Together, we address national challenges of workforce development, infrastructure identification, technology advances, and funding procurement.
Semiconductor innovation is essential to the fusion of technologies called for in the Fourth Industrial Revolution, crucial to disruptive advances in 5G, artificial intelligence, and the internet of things, and vital to marketplace evolution. The success of the United States Innovation and Competition Act of 2021 and the NSTC is central to our work. Our collective call is for the NSTC to be:
- Objective-oriented to critical issues like supply chain resiliency, national security, and assurance of economic competitiveness.
- Strategy-led with a technical agenda that utilizes existing infrastructure with objective and collaborative industry and university participation.
- Merit-based with a distributed model prioritizing quality selection, efficient use of existing infrastructure, and an objective, expert-led Advanced Technology Grand Challenge model to produce sustainable outcomes.
American Innovation, American Growth:
A Vision For The National Semiconductor Technology Center
In American Innovation, American Growth, we define guidelines for the establishment of the NSTC to ensure that the nation delivers on this opportunity to drive U.S. leadership in semiconductors for decades to come. Join us in the call for a fair and impartial NSTC.
- Neutral, Balanced, Resilient Governance
- A Marketplace of Competitive Ideas
- A Whole-of-Nation Effort
- Breakthrough Technical Leadership
- Accountability to Government Objectives
Leaders Reimagining the Semiconductor Industry
Our Circuit Talk series brings together thought leaders to reimagine the semiconductor ecosystem and drive generational change. It’s an open dialogue around complex technology issues framed in the backdrop of public policy and public good.
“It is more crucial than ever before, to embrace, accelerate, and guide deep tech innovation for public good in industries that deeply impact both national security and economic stability. It is not enough to lead the design of new chips, we must create incentives, stimulate investment, build the workforce, and lead technology advancements across the whole value chain.”
CONTACT THE SEMICONDUCTOR ALLIANCE
MITRE Engenuity seeks engagement from all facets of the U.S. semiconductor ecosystem, including integrated device manufacturers; fabless chip companies; providers of infrastructure, design, and manufacturing tools; and innovators from industry and academia.